Yes, when you’re pregnant, you’re eating for two. You’re not eating for two linebackers in the NFL, though. Pregnancy should not be the time when women excuse themselves from eating nutritiously and give in to each and every craving they have. You’re eating for yourself and your child, which means that, most of the time, you should stick to healthy and recommended foods. Learn what to eat when pregnant and what to avoid.
Foods that you should always eat when pregnant include the following:
• Avocados, because they’re packed with folic acid.
• Broccoli, because it has calcium, which helps your baby develop his bones.
• Carrots, which help your child’s development of their bones, teeth and eyes.
• Eggs that have a lot of DHA help brain and eye development.
• Edamame, when salted, are a good and nutritious trade for chips.
• Lentils absorb flavors and seasonings, making them not only healthy but delicious, too.
• Mango is an excellent alternative for women who don’t really like eating veggies.
• Nuts, while high in fat, have good fat. This is an excellent snack item for pregnant women and it can be added to several different foods.
• Oatmeal is one of the best breakfast foods for women who are pregnant. They fill you up and are full of fiber and vitamins. Also, oatmeal can be used in several different homemade baked goods.
Even if you’re going to treat yourself to your favorite foods that you shun most of the time, make sure to steer clear of certain foods that are bad for the baby. Undercooked meat, fish and eggs should be avoided. Processed meats, including hot dogs, and any dairy products that aren’t pasteurized should not be consumed either. Raw sprouts and alcohol should also not be consumed.
You May Be Next