GOP presidential front-runner Donald Trump said Wednesday he will not appear on Fox News programs “for the foreseeable future,” claiming he was unfairly treated.
Donald J. Trump ✔ @realDonaldTrump … @FoxNews has been treating me very unfairly & I have therefore decided that I won’t be doing any more Fox shows for the foreseeable future.
Trump did not detail the alleged unfair treatment.
But Fox News said the “boycott” followed its cancellation of an appearance by the outspoken real estate mogul on Bill O’Reilly’s show on Thursday.
“At 11:45 am today, we cancelled Donald Trump’s scheduled appearance on The O’Reilly Factor on Thursday, which resulted in Mr. Trump’s subsequent tweet about his ‘boycott’ of FOX News,” a Fox News spokesperson said in a statement.
“The press predictably jumped to cover his tweet, creating yet another distraction from any real issues that Mr. Trump might be questioned about,” the statement continued.
“When coverage doesn’t go his way, he engages in personal attacks on our anchors and hosts, which has grown stale and tiresome. He doesn’t seem to grasp that candidates telling journalists what to ask is not how the media works in this country,” the spokesperson added.
Trump targeted O’Reilly in a series of tweets on Monday night, saying O’Reilly featured the “same old Trump haters.”
Fox News host Greta Van Susteren took to her blog after those tweets to tell the real estate tycoon to “Give it a rest!” and note that she gave him a “fair” interview shortly before he made the remarks about O’Reilly.
Trump also reignited his feud with host Megyn Kelly on Tuesday after a ceasefire last month.
His renewed high-profile feuding with the network and its personalities comes a week after the second main-stage GOP debate, which sparked an uptick in interest in rival candidates such as Carly Fiorina.